Effective leadership and leadership development, which is often neglected, is critical to the success of any business. We’re frequently asked what makes a great leader?
- Leadership isn’t about being great but enabling others to be great
- One of our biggest lessons for every leader is that every day is a chance to learn
- Great people make the difference – you can’t make bricks without straw and you can’t have a great business without great people. People are the true differentiator in any successful business or team
- Culture – as a leader, it is crucial to create an organic environment that is enjoyable to be in, that fosters passions to make a difference and excites people to come into work and succeed
- Leaders set the tone
- Purpose – leaders need to know what they stand for and be prepared to remember this in the face of challenges. Those that stand for everything, stand for nothing
- Humility and vulnerability – if your business can’t run without you it won’t grow beyond you. Great leaaers need to enable their people so they can work by themselves; no micromanaging
Based on years of research and leadership development and coaching programmes, we also know that a particular blend of behaviours, personality traits and skills create great leaders:
- A Relationship builder
- An effective problem solver
- Responsibility and accountability
- Be results-driven
Experience has shown us that what distinguishes great leadership is often different for each organisation. There are varying experiences and perspectives on the approach and qualities necessary for effective leadership.
“Not all situations require the same type of leadership style. Great leaders adapt to their surroundings and empower their team. Great leaders should be strong and visionary. They need to have a solid belief in their ideas; you can’t expect your team to see you as a leader unless you’re strong in your conviction. It’s about authenticity and displaying the right behaviours and consistently demonstrating these every single day.” Lynette Deutsch, CEO of The Endaba Group